Best Auto Insurance Coverage Recommendations in New Jersey
Thomas McCarter Law Advice on Auto Insurance Coverage
1. We recommend purchasing at least 100,000/300,000 in liability coverage. Liability coverage is what covers you if you cause an accident and get sued. If you don’t have adequate liability insurance coverage you can be sued personally and have to pay out of your own pocket.
2. We recommend purchasing at least $100,000/$300,00 of uninsured/underinsured coverage or what is known in the business as UM/UIM coverage. UM covers you if you are in an accident with an uninsured vehicle. UIM covers you if you have an accident with someone who has less insurance than you such as someone who has a basic or a $15,000/$30,000 policy. If you have $100,000/$300,000 in UIM coverage you can recover additional money from your own insurance company.
3. If you own a motor vehicle that is less than 5 years old, we recommend you purchase collision insurance. Collision covers your automobile when it is damaged in an accident regardless of who is at fault.
4. We recommend you purchase the No Limitation on Lawsuit Tort Option as opposed to the Limitation on Lawsuit Tort Option. The Limitation on Lawsuit Tort Option requires that a person prove he/she has a permanent injury, a fracture or other significant injury based upon objective medical evidence. If you purchase the No Limitation on Lawsuit Tort Option there is no restriction on your right to bring a lawsuit.
5. We recommend purchasing Personal Injury Protection Coverage in the amount of $250,000.00 per person per accident. Personal Injury Protection Coverage pays medical expenses such as hospital bills, prescriptions expenses, doctors bills, x-ray bills, MRI bills, etc. when you are injured in an automobile accident. Insurance companies are allowed to sell insurance policies with very limited Personal Injury Protection Coverage such as $15,000.00, $50,000.00, $100,000.00, $150,000.00, $200,000.00 and $250,000.00. We strongly recommended you purchase $250,000.00 in PIP because in the unfortunate situation where surgery is required you want to have adequate insurance coverage to pay your bills.
6. We recommended you NEVER purchase the Basic Policy or the Special Policy. Those insurance policies cover very little, there are limitations on your right to sue and very minimal coverage for medical expenses.
The above insurance coverages will cost you a bit more but you will be protected and covered much better if you sustain personal injuries in a motor vehicle collision. The staff at Thomas McCarter Law will be glad to discuss your insurance coverages with you at any time.